Unraveled Wednesday, 3/27/19.

IMG_2972 2

It turns out that I am using the Fairfield pattern strictly for the stitch counts and overall construction. The stitch pattern/cables? Entirely my own design, with some help from Barbara Walker. The sleeve cables were impromptu, but I knew I needed to actually plan the cables for the back.

IMG_2971

The cable at the right of the book’s photo is the one I decided on for the center back, to be flanked on each side by a narrower cable panel like the ones on the sleeves.

As you can see I attempted to chart the center cable panel — it has only written instructions in the book — but that proved to be more difficult than I anticipated. I think it may actually be easier to read the photograph.

IMG_2973 2

Back ribbing before I started the cables… and where it will be again as soon as I frog the five or so rows I have managed to produce in three days. Yes, it will definitely be easier to read the photograph.

Does everyone have this much trouble with a sweater? If I had simply followed the pattern I would probably have two sleeves and half of a back by now. But no, I had to improvise and redesign and improve.

I sure hope it all works out.

IMG_2976

When procrastinating on charting cables I amuse myself with these socks. Just as one’s apartment is never so clean as during finals week, socks never go faster than when one is procrastinating on another knitting project.

The yarn for Chaika arrived today. It is all caked and in its very own project bag, and the collar is cast on. I have often had multiple projects OTN, but never two sweaters.

First time for everything.

* * * * *

I picked up a David Sedaris book when I worked at the library book sale last Friday — When You Are Engulfed in Flames. Sedaris is as highly entertaining as always. Sadly, most of my recent reading time has been spent on Instagram and the NYTimes crosswords on my new-to-me iPad. My old one had become increasingly erratic and unreliable. When I mentioned to Younger Son that I was thinking of getting a new one, it turned out he had a newish one that was exactly what I was looking for and that he didn’t really want. So I bought his, hence my new enthusiasm for the iPad over a book.

Head over to Kat’s to see more Unraveled posts!

This entry was posted in Chaika, Fairfield sweater, Unraveled Wednesdays. Bookmark the permalink.

9 Responses to Unraveled Wednesday, 3/27/19.

1. Kat says:

When You Are Engulfed in Flames is excellent! David Sedaris is excellent company for knitting – although maybe not for that amazing sweater you have going!

It’s nice to have An Adventure . . . right there on your needles! You’ll feel so good wearing that sweater when you’re finished. XO

3. Vera says:

I’ve been toying with the idea of designing some socks with cables. Looks like fun. And, love the yarn for your socks!

I’m with you – my tendency to ‘improve’ a pattern can really slow me down. 🙂
    I love Sedaris! He’s one of the few authors who can make me giggle out loud!

5. Patty says:

I think it’s time I experience David Sedaris. I’ve considered it for a while but haven’t gotten there yet. I think your sweater will be lovely and good for you for taking that re-design challenge on!

6. The redesign process is always tough but once you get going, your sweater will fly. And those socks – gorgeous!

7. =Tamar says:

My first adult sweater was a redesign of a commercial Aran pattern, so I am biased in favor of that. However, I think you need to swatch the pattern from the photograph, too. I’m not absolutely sure, but I think the photographed example may have an error in the crossings slightly obscured at the extreme bottom of the photo (maybe an attempt to hide it?).

8. I love Sedaris. Don’t love his voice though. So I read him. Im sure I voted for Chaika too!

9. Jane says:

I often struggle with sweaters. Someone once said, “I never met a pattern I couldn’t modify.” Yes, I am often trying to change things a bit but then that is one perk of making our own – if only it worked out the first time! Good luck – the cable looks lovely.