Unraveled, 1/16/2019.

I had help from one of the cats during the photo shoot.
That’s better.

When last you saw this Pivot Cowl, the knitting was done but I hadn’t joined the edges to make it an actual cowl. There was some mental debate as to whether I really wanted this, or if I should just frog it and use the yarn [My Precious!] to make something else.

Well, now you see the results of that mental debate. One 3-needle bind off to join the ends and it was done. I have worn it a couple of times, and it passes the no-itch test. The Kat™ has ungodly sensitive skin.

Yarn: Black Bunny Fibers Bamberino Sock. It is a delightful yarn, but mine has been through a number of stress tests.
Needle: US#6 circ
Pattern: Pivot Cowl from Purl Soho. I think I like my version, with the two stockinette inserts, better.

————————-

In other knitting-related news, I am plugging away at my Carbeth. (You can read its up-to-now saga at the link.) It turned out that the problem I vaguely remembered stemmed from not clearly reading the pattern. I was decreasing on both sides of the raglan seam rather than only on the front and back. What tipped me off to the problem was that it was going to decrease away the sleeve stitches long before reaching the neckline. Careful pattern reading and photograph studying revealed that I wasn’t supposed to be decreasing the sleeve stitches… at all.

How many times have I screwed up a knit because I didn’t read the instructions carefully enough? Don’t answer that.

Once more a major frogging ensued, this time back to where I joined the sleeves, and a reknit. Since this sweater is on US#10.5 needles, it goes fast, even for me, the world’s slowest sweater knitter. (I have never finished a sweater in less than two years.)

The real question remains: what will I screw up next? As I typed that I considered my options to raise the back of the neck. Probably some more German short rows — immediately, if not sooner.

Stay tuned!

I haven’t read much in the past week. How It Happened by Michael Koryta is the only book that I finished. It is a decent mystery, and I gave it 3 stars.

Here is something reading-related that I want to share — a blog post entitled “Stories of Mighty Women: 75 New Biographies for Adult Readers“. Unlike most booklists, this one is multicultural. I have read two* three on the list — Michelle Obama’s Becoming, Educated by Tara Westover, and Who Thought This Was A Good Idea: And Other Question You Should Have the Answers To When You Work in the White House by Alyssa Mastromonaco — and I can highly recommend both all three.

::clicks back over to finish going through the list::

This entry was posted in Unraveled Wednesdays. Bookmark the permalink.

10 Responses to Unraveled, 1/16/2019.

I make mistakes ALL the time because I read – but then don’t follow – the instructions. Or counting. Counting gets me every time. 😉

2. Kat says:

Mistakes are the bane of my existence! So, perhaps I am in good company? lol

And, I love the cowl! It looks cozy, soft, and so warm!

The only way I’ve found to save myself is to sit down at the beginning with the pattern and a highlighter, watching for words like “only” and “at the same time” – those are traps, I tell ya!

4. Making mistakes because of not reading through carefully is my specialty ! I like to think it means we are adventurers who want to experience more than just think about it
    (Or….hmmm…something like that !)

5. mere2007 says:

Owning my lack of reading/counting/and just plain sloppiness here too – I make all kinds of mistakes! and love that reading list – thank you for sharing!

6. Nicole says:

I’m with you on slow sweater knitting. I’m going to try to get better at that, because I love wearing sweaters I make (which means I need to, you know, FINISH them) but I’m an easily distracted knitter so I don’t have much hope.

Having just told you my continuing tale of woe RE; Sweater of 2018. Apparently WS means the right side in my world.
    The cowl is lovely, and the color is very becoming. Worthy of a Champ!

8. I am in love with your cowl. AND your stitches are so even! Beautiful. i need anti itch wools too . I’ll try yours

9. Jane says:

The cowl is lovely. I a fellow slow sweater knitter and generally I end up redoing at least one part. As I say, we are just getting our money’s worth out of the yarn.

10. KSD says:

I’ve been looking at the Pivot Cowl pattern. It’s nice to see one in the wild; thanks!