Tannenbaum Tuesday.

Well, not really Tannenbaum, since that refers to the traditional Christmas tree. What I want to share with you is the spectacular performance of an amaryllis bulb.

Last year I beheld the glory that was several Instagrammers’ @amarylliswatch2017 posts. I have not had an amaryllis for years, but those photos inspired me. And Carole (I think) said that if one were planning to purchase such a bulb, one should buy it from White Fence Farms. Something about how, yes, they cost a bit more, but they are so much better. Definitely worth the extra bucks.

So, a year ago, I put a reminder on my calendar in mid-October 2018: “Order amaryllis bulbs from White Flower Farm for delivery in December”. And when October rolled around, I followed my own instructions.

Behold the Christmas greenery (and reddery!) at our house!

IMG_2619.jpg

First, the magnificent poinsettia.

The trick to acquiring one of these in December in The Great Frozen North is to get it from the store to the car to the house without letting it get frostbitten. This poor baby had to spend six (6!) hours in the car while we shopped, ate dinner, shopped, and drove back to Wisconsin from Minneapolis. It has lost exactly one leaf so far. I blame the raggedy bits on certain cats who think houseplants are for them.

IMG_2622.jpg

Next, we add the amaryllis.

IMG_2623 2.jpg

That amaryllis has exceeded all expectations. Look at all those blossoms!

IMG_2623.jpg

Eleven!

IMG_2626.jpg

The fun continues…

This entry was posted in Christmas, Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

8 Responses to Tannenbaum Tuesday.

1. Carole Julius says:

That poinsettia is fabulous and the amaryllis is magnificent! Kym was the first one to tell me about White Flower Farm, I’m glad we’re sharing the love all across the internet and country!

Watching amaryllis grow is always a thrill, but that bulb of yours takes it right over the top! Sooo many beautiful blossoms from one bulb! Perfect!

3. Kat says:

Wow! That amaryllis is just amazing! I am trying year #2 of a pair of bulbs from Home Depot – I am holding out hope that one of them might bloom!

4. Diane Nelson says:

Love, love, love – my amaryllis looks like the last photo. Told Jacob the last time he was here that the next time he came it would be two feet fall. Grandma’s credibility is at serious risk!

5. KSD says:

Beautiful. My parents always received lots of poinsettias this time of year, and, without fail, they all died quick and ignoble deaths. I think it was because my mother kept the house surprisingly chilly. (“You can always put on a sweater if you get cold.”}

Wow! That amaryllis is amazing. I picked up some bulbs in St. Louis and hope they don’t mind being relocated north. 😉

7. AJ says:

I have an amaryllis with long stalks, but no flowers yet:(

8. Look at all those BLossoms. WOW