My sons are traveling…together.

These are the same two sons who did not speak a civil word to each other until they were both out of high school. As an only child, I was unfamiliar with the ways of siblings: is this typical?

Anyway, the two of them have been planning this trip for a year. This weekend they will attend the Wacken Open Air  heavy metal festival near Hamburg, Germany. In preparation Elder Son’s girlfriend gave him an appropriate Christmas present last winter: a book about Swedish Death Metal.  (“Swedish death metal”? Who knew?) Anyway, ES flew from Albuquerque to Salt Lake City to Copenhagen last weekend. Younger Son flew to Amsterdam a day or so later, whereupon his flight to Copenhagen was canceled and Scandinavian Airlines comped him a room at the VestingHotel, which he says is the cutest hotel he has stayed at in years.

Here, judge for yourself (if you have your sound on you can hear the *singing* lock on the door):

Andrew in Copenhagen

Elder Son tests out the (extremely shallow) waters of the North Sea.

Jensen.jpg

When in Amsterdam, Younger Son was intrigued to learn of a car named for him (and his brother and father and grandfather, etc.) — a Jensen.

I just discovered that Younger Son is so far away that his shared location no longer shows up on my Google Maps ::sob::  Oh, well, he is in nearly constant touch with Messenger. And Elder Son posts often on Facebook, complete with photos.

[aside] Isn’t the Internet amazing sometimes? [/aside]

This entry was posted in Andrew, Matthew, Travel. Bookmark the permalink.

9 Responses to My sons are traveling…together.

1. Diane says:

Love that room and yes “boys will be boys” have two —night and day in almost all things!!
    As they got older things have leveled out, but no trips planned together….yet

I LOVE this! My sister and I were always pals as we were growing up (although There Were Days…) We love traveling together now. My own kids? I can’t see them EVER traveling ANYWHERE together. (They were not close at all as kids; relations improved once they brought their spouses into the fold. But travel? No.) What a grand adventure for your sons. XO

3. Nicole says:

Sounds like a fun adventure! My sister and I have always been close, but we had plenty of sibling friends who couldn’t stand each other growing up and are now good friends. I guess it depends on personalities and family dynamics.

4. AJ says:

Yup siblings often have to become adults before they manage to be civil!

5. How wonderful. Doesnt that make your mama heart sing?

I am the eldest of five and, man, did we fight as kids — all have scars to prove it. As adults, and especially as some of us became parents, we enjoyed spending time together and would travel to do so! I hope the boys have a great time!!

Jensen? It’s an AMC Pacer! (Got nothin’ to say about siblings.)

Also; no screens on the window? Kinda freaky…

9. KSD says:

I am a hotel junkie; that place looks amazing.