Because I am nothing if not late to the party.

Have you seen all the Carbeths on Instagram and Ravelry and on blogs?

Many are a solid (or solid tweed) color.

Others are a bit more colorful.

Even pets get into the Carbeth act.

I have resisted this KAL for several reasons:

• I don’t need another sweater.
  • I already have too many projects OTN.
  • A sweater of double-stranded worsted weight yarn would be way too warm for me.
  • It would require buying yarn, something I have sworn not to do until I have knitted down my stash a lot more than I have to date.
  • I am having some trouble knitting with this sore shoulder (more on that another day).

That being said, today I ordered the yarn to make a Carbeth.

Earlier last week I remembered Berroco Vintage worsted — only 40% wool, so perhaps I would be able to wear the sweater all winter, not just on days when the high temp is -30˚F. I have used that yarn before and liked it. Over at Webs, I picked out a lovely heathery green and put 10 skeins* into my cart.

Berroco vintage green

I don’t have a green sweater, and I need a green sweater. And I love this green. So there.

But I emptied my cart and swore to myself and the world that I was not going to Bang Our A Carbeth. Nope, not me. Not happening. See list above.

Then I remembered the lovely effect one gets by double-stranding two barely different colors of yarn. Hmmm. Back to

I pondered over a number of possible combinations.

Nope, I recently bought a couple blue sweaters. No need to knit another.

Oooh, these would make a lovely, subtle, neutral combination. But Webs has only 1 skein of the one on the left. Darn.

Nice, but do I want to knit an entire sweater out of dark yarn? My LED lamp makes it easier, but… Besides, I recently bought a dark blue cardigan. No need to knit another dark blue sweater, no matter how tempting the colors.

Oh, boy, this one is sooo tempting. I have been thinking that I might need a purple sweater, and these two would make such a nice combination. Hmmm

Back to the green. Yep, that’s the one.

So I ordered the two green yarns. And an hour later, after looking at the Carbeths with colored edgings, I went back to Webs and ordered a skein of Sage for a contrast edging on the cuffs and ribbing.

Okay, now I am really done ordering yarn. Yep. Fer sure

* This may be more than I actually need, but I want to lengthen the sweater — cropped would look ridiculous on me — and I don’t want to run out.

This entry was posted in Carbeth, knitting, Yarn. Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to Because I am nothing if not late to the party.

1. Diane Nelson says:

Lovely colors!

2. Excellent choice! I have somehow missed the Carbeth frenzy. For now I’m keeping it that way:)

3. Kat says:

excellent choice!

4. ninlouise says:

I’d already favorited this pattern on Ravelry, and now I am enthused in a silly way while having Noro thoughts. This winter has been so cold. I even have bed-sweaters!

5. Rhonda says:

Your resolve is as good as mine!

6. kayT says:

No Carbeth for me. I think the way the raglan decreases go across above the chest are not going to be flattering on someone shaped like me. Plus I live in Texas and can wear a wool sweater three days of the year IF we have a cold winter. So no. I will be looking forward to seeing how your colors blend, though. Thanks for falling into the Carbeth for all of us so we don’t have to.

I have been completely unaware of Carbeth until seeing this post, so I’m even later to the party than you are. I’ll happily watch you knit yours, then quiz you about the fit. (Like, does it bind when you lift your arms, and so on)
    Happy (and hopefully painfree) knitting!

8. AJ says:

I hadn’t seen these sweaters, but now you make me want to make one!

Go where your heart takes you! Or something. I think I love Carbeth, but I’ll wait to see yours, because I’m already one skein down a track.

OMG IT’S A CARDIGAN TOO!!! Must think about this.

Having already succumbed to the Carbeth’s charms, I have this to say: Watch out for the weight of the sweater — and especially if you’re going to lengthen it. Because of the shoulder construction, there is not much structure up top — and the weight can really impact the fit. As in . . . it can go “Flashdance” really fast. (Ask me how I know. . . )

11. Nicole says:

I hadn’t seen this sweater before your post either, so I’m another one that’s later to the party than you are. However, I think that sweater would be way to warm for California winters, so I’ll pass on this one. (Plus, with my current sweater knitting speed, it would take me about three years to finish it.) Your color choices look amazing, though!

12. Pingback: Unraveled Wednesday 2/28/18. | kmkat & her kneedles