S.A.B.L.E.

I started an analysis of my knitting future a while back. This is the kind of thing math geeks do for fun.
  1. Download stash from Ravelry into an Excel s/s.
  2. Total up the “yards remaining” column. (140,000, more or less)
  3. Make a list of all the projects I have finished in the last few years.* (Yay, Ravelry! No way I could have done this w/o you!)
  4. Look up how much yarn each one used.** (Yay, Ravelry!)
  5. Total up the yards of yarn used.
  6. Divide total yards used by whatever number of years (or months, whatever) to determine how much yarn I use per year/month/whatever. Convert to yards/year.
  7. Look up life expectancy for women age 68.25. (It’s 18.9, in case you were wondering.)
  8. Multiply the number of yards knit up per year by 18.9.
  9. Compare result to #6, above.
This will tell me whether I have actually reached S.A.B.L.E. I fear I already know the answer.
* This wasn’t really accurate because because it didn’t include all the knitting I had done on the mitered square afghan. I should do the calc again now that the afghan is finished and will be included in the Finished category.
** This is where I stalled out in the calc. Looking up the yardage for every project was too tedious even to contemplate.***
*** Upon further thought I realize now that I wouldn’t have to look up every project, only one of each type. Every pair of worsted weight fingerless gloves would use approximately the same amount of yarn, for example
This entry was posted in Accounting, knitting, Silliness, Yarn. Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to S.A.B.L.E.

I don’t even want to know. I just want to live in a cozy future where I’ll have time to knit All The Things!

2. Silvernfire says:

And that’s why I’m doing a stash purge this weekend.

3. ninlouise says:

We should all just trade troves. {I am no math whiz but I do know I do not have enough years to knit what I have. Maybe I will use some of it to start knitting my shroud of many hues. Thanks kmkat! You’re fun!}

4. Rhonda says:

If I continue knitting and weaving at my current rate, I will use my stash in about 8 years. Better buy more yarn!

5. AJ says:

Ugh I can’t even contemplate this as I inherited my grandma’s stash and it’s not all labelled. I think I’ll just Knit in ignorant bliss:)

6. Rhonda says:

Oh no, I was calculating based on 2 years of usage so I have 16 years worth of yarn. Close to Sable!

7. Honestly I don’t have much stash. I am obsessive about starting and completing mostly one thing at a knit time. I have some stash. A few skeins of sock yarn. I do have leftover yardage, but I dont count it as I have already knit something with the original skein. Hahaha. Of the top of my head, I have under 20 skiens I think.

8. Becky says:

Time to buy yarn for compassionknit ⬆️

9. Becky says:

Or maybe just send her some of the sable.

I’ve decided not to worry about sable. Both my daughters are knitters, so my stash can just pass down to them. In the meantime, I’ll just keep knitting away at it!
    Now my fabric stash, on the other hand… I’d better encourage those daughters to also take up quilting.

11. Kat with a K says:

I am sure I reached SABLE status a decade ago… but that has not stopped me!

12. zeneedle says:

I will knit what I can and when I’m gone the yarn is someone else’s problem.