Excitement! I changed my desk!

Of course, I forgot to take a before photo. Just know that my monitor and computer have lived on a card table for over ten years. A card table is 34″x34″, which doesn’t leave much space after the shelf (pictured below), a monitor, and a mouse pad take up residence.

IMG_1059

The empty space.

IMG_1067.jpg

This new-to-me desk is 42″ wide, and it just fits! If you look at the space between the white desk and the desk at left — which is actually just an 8-foot plank on two sawhorses with a 2×4 supporting the middle — you can see how much that plank sags under the weight of all my stuff. But the 2×4 prop keeps it safe.

IMG_1069.jpg

One goal of the new arrangement was to make the jacks on the back of my Mac Mini accessible. The Mini used to live on the middle shelf with the jacks facing the wall. Sometimes I had to resort to holding a mirror behind it to see which jack I needed to plug into.*

IMG_1070.jpg

THAT is accessible.

IMG_1071 2.JPG

Also newly accessible is the UPS/surge protector that everything plugs into, at right rear behind all the pen and pencil holders.

One thing always leads to another, and I was able to clear up some other clutter and free up some more space on the main desk, but I will spare you those details. Just know that stuff that has been in the way for years is all now neatly stowed in its own designated space(s). I still have to figure out why the sound is only coming out of one speaker.

The feeling of spaciousness created by that extra eight inches of desk is glorious!

* Presumably because of Steve Jobs’s lifelong quest for elegance and simplicity, he would apparently never allow the jacks to be put on the front of a computer. As much as I admire his design esthetic, leaving those jacks on the back really sucked. Standing on my head with a flashlight in one hand and a mirror in the other — now, how do I actually plug in my new USB hub?I lack a third hand — was definitely inelegant in the extreme.

This entry was posted in Technology and The Kat. Bookmark the permalink.

10 Responses to Excitement! I changed my desk!

NICE!!!! 🙂

Looks great – enjoy your new computer digs!

Woohoo!! Wide open spaces!
    I had one computer that I finally turned sideways, so I could access both the front and the back. I never did understand why the cords were supposed to be inaccessible…

4. AJ says:

I love getting new working space!! Enjoy:)

5. zeneedle says:

Having a space of ones own, with everything accessible and usable, makes work almost enjoyable! Good job in figuring out what would work best for you.

6. =Tamar says:

Wow! You have over twice as many pens and pencils as I do! um… Nice desk! It even has a drawer.

7. highlyreasonable says:

I do appreciate simplicity and design, but function has to figure largely into anything I use often. Enjoy the functional, glorious spaciousness you have created!

8. Silvernfire says:

Very nice! One year ago today, I bought a new desk (a large table, really), replacing the tinier table I’d used for about 25 years, a table which sagged gently and whose legs had to be held on with string. I now use the new desk daily. It’s almost as if having enough space to work encourages you to do stuff!

9. Nicole says:

Looks awesome! Cleaning up & rearranging my desk is on my to-do list, but this is inspirational! Maybe I’ll finally get to my desk this month, now…