Unraveled (for realz).

Joining Kat and friends.

I had a couple handknits that I had made but which I never, or almost never, wore. Awhile back it occurred to me that I could frog them and reclaim the yarn.

Here is their story. No names have been changed.

IMG_0971.jpg

First, this cowl. Notice how long and skinny it is. Pattern is the Willow Cowl on Ravelry, and my mods to make it a bit narrower… were overdone.

I bought this yarn from a blogger I used to follow. It was a special colorway being sold as a fundraiser for an equine rescue organization. Being on the board of my local humane society at the time AND a knitter, how could I not buy a skein? Unfortunately I forgot that I have absolutely nothing in my wardrobe that this yarn would match nor even complement. I have never worn this cowl.

IMG_0972.jpg

It begins.

IMG_0974.jpg

The cowl had a picot edge with a knitted hem. It was too frickin’ hard to unravel, so out came the scissors.

IMG_0977.jpg

Hem… gone.

IMG_0981.jpg

Really, really… gone.

IMG_0982.jpg

It continues.

I started by winding the unraveled yarn into a center-pull ball, planning to skein it once the cowl was fully unraveled. But the process was proceeding so smoothly that I decided to skip the ball-winding step.

Apparently my iPhone camera cannot adjust its focus on the fly.

IMG_0986.jpg

The ramen stage always makes me giggle.

Since I was already doing laundry, and the next load was going to be hand-knit socks, I decided to take the lazy way out. I put the skeined yarn into a mesh bag, zipped it closed, and threw it into the washer — short & delicate cycle, cold water.

IMG_1015.jpg

It looks like a tangled mess, but the ties saved it. If I had it to do over, however, I would have tied it in more than two places.

* * * * *

The second item was a scarf I made for Younger Son’s former fiancée. When they broke up she returned several of the gifts I had given her, including this scarf. I have worn it a few times with a white t-shirt and a black cardigan, but yellow is not a particularly good color on me.

IMG_0969.jpg

IMG_0987.jpg

Early days.

As I struggled to unravel the scarf, I kept thinking about former fiancee. She returned my gifts! She [presumably] hurt my son! Grrr!

IMG_0993.jpg

I had less and less patience with the scarf. Lots of repressed anger seemed to emerge. I probably harvested only about 3/4 of the original skein.

IMG_1008.jpg

More yarn ramen.

IMG_1013.jpg

Good riddance!

IMG_1017.jpg

Hanging to dry.

Still not sure what I will do with the yarns. Donate? Gift?  Double-strand with some other color to make it more useful? Stay tuned…

This entry was posted in Books, Cowls, knitting, Reading, Scarves, Unraveled Wednesdays. Bookmark the permalink.

13 Responses to Unraveled (for realz).

I think there’s bad juju with the returned gift yarn, I might get rid of that one. The other yarn has potential, though, perhaps as a new gift?

2. Deb in PA says:

You could do your mittens and hats for your fundraisers. Good karma for yarn that didn’t work the first time.

3. kayT says:

Check out Comfort for Critters (comfortforcritters.org). Blankets for animals in shelters which can go home with them when adopted. Bet they’d love some yellow and orange!

4. Kat with a K says:

Sometimes the act of unraveling is cathartic and healing. But, I must confess to almost having a heart attack at the washing in the washer! Really! With my luck the bag would have come unzipped and all that yarn would have wound around the agitator and killed the motor! LOL

I would get the scissors out and do a bit more . . . therapy . . . on the returned-gift-yarn. Who needs that kind of juju? (Or HER for that matter. . . ) Maybe you can make one of your charity items with the other yarn?

6. How very restrained with the returned scarf, I probably would have just donated it to a charity shop or binned it straight away!

7. highlyreasonable says:

I also love the ramen stage! I think that unraveling former fiancee’s scarf is a great way to deal with repressed “you hurt my son” maternal anger. I had just started a scarf for my younger son’s ex-girlfriend when she dumped him after he rearranged his life, gave up his job, and moved 2,000 miles for her. I only had about five inches done so I don’t think my unraveling quite took care of all my anger. Maybe scissors would have helped! I had to donate the yarn in hopes that somebody else could knit some good feelings into it.

8. Rhonda says:

It’s not the yarns fault. I would be tempted to ply them together and see what resulted.

9. OHHHHHH! I scream with scissors and yarn. GOOD FOR YOU!! You did it and you can make it what it really wants to be

10. =Tamar says:

Isn’t that yellow-black-and-white rather like the “tiger” yarn that was popular? I’m certain someone would like it, maybe for slippers. The other one looks like a calico cat; maybe a cat toy?

11. Nicole says:

I love the ramen stage! Yarn always looks so cool at that stage. I rarely have the patience to wash my reclaimed yarn to get the kinks out, though.

12. KSD says:

Wow. I once tried to unravel a sweater I found at a thrift store. I’d seen the idea in a magazine, and it looked simple enough. Oh yeah, right, SURE.

13. sprite says:

While I understand your frustration with a woman who hurt your son, I can maybe understand her thought in returning a gift you put a lot of time and good thoughts into. She probably assumed that you’d resent her for keeping it, rather than intending to cause additional pain. (Unless she’s a not-nice person in general, in which case, disregard.)