Foliage photo of the day and Unraveled Wednesday #11.

Not all of the autumn foliage change in in the trees. From upper left: milkweed in the ditch; Virginia creeper on a sapling; a soybean field nearly ready to harvest.

Given that my thumbs are non-functional for knitting, let me tell you about my reading instead.

My practice for several years is has been that, whenever I read about an interesting book online, I request it from my library consortium. This results in me having an enormous TBR pile next to my bed, causing a certain amount of low-level anxiety — will I be able to  read them all? Maybe some will not catch my interest in the first 50  pages (my limit) so I can return them unread? What about a book I really would like to read but which I have already renewed twice and cannot renew again? What to do, what to do?

Before I left on my long road trip, I returned all the library books currently checked out and froze my remaining holds so they would not arrive while I was gone. My new practice since returning home is to request books two at a time and to use Goodreads’ “Want to read” feature to keep track of books that sound interesting. Having only two books next to the bed removes all the pressure, plus, if I finish both before the next two arrive, I can read one of my own books. What a concept!

Anyway, the two books I picked up yesterday at the library are Unmentionable: The Victorian Lady’s Guide to Sex, Marriage, and Manners and Juniper: The Girl Who was Born Too Soon. The Bloggess recommended the first, and I don’t remember where I heard about the second; it was in amongst my previously frozen holds. I will let you know if they are any good (imo).

This entry was posted in Autumn, Unraveled Wednesdays. Bookmark the permalink.

7 Responses to Foliage photo of the day and Unraveled Wednesday #11.

1. Gillian says:

Have you read “Sapiens”? Ian finding it very interesting. Author is Harari.

2. Kat with a K says:

I love these early autumn days with the occasional splash of color! And, I am hoping your thumbs are in the knit soon!

3. Diane says:

Will plan on reading “Unmentionable”. A number of years ago a friend of mine and I read a similar book with many laughs. Our takeaway was the statement “Wait a moment please, Mary” which was to be shared if you had left the bathroom in an odoriferous state. There was a small rest room down the hall from our office at the hospital and when appropriate she would walk by my desk and say “wait a moment please Mary.” Hope you’re finding many interesting reads while your thumbs rest.

My library books are inside my kindle, so there’s no fearsome stack looming over me. On the other hand, out of sight/out of mind means I often lose track of what I really wanted to read next. (Every silver lining has a cloud…)
    Today’s thumb earworm is that classic Beatles tune “Thumb thing in the way she knits…”

I loving using GoodReads for keeping track of the things I want to read. I mostly read titles that come in on Overdrive and that limits me to 10 holds at a time. Nevertheless, they still tend to ALL come in at ONCE. First world problem, for sure, but a really good one!

6. Nicole says:

I love using Goodreads! On the other hand… my “want to read” list on GR has gotten quite long now, too…

7. Mary Lou says:

I didn’t know I could freeze the hold list. Must explore that.