The kittens have been with us seven days. So far, they have:
- Been confined to the bathroom for two days, then…
- Been released into the wide world of our bedroom.
- Almost immediately discovered the joy of Sticking One’s Paw Under The Door and finding… another paw to play with!
- Decided that, although they were not litter mates, they can act like it.
- Employed the time-honored hissing response when faced with a dog.
- Had one paw-swiping-across-the-nose-with-claws-extended encounter with one of the dogs.
- Been largely ignored by Milady ever since.
- Continued to hiss at inquisitive Misha.
- Endeared themselves to us by purring loudly whenever they are touched.
- Awakened Smokey one morning by chewing on his thumb.
- Confused us by being so very, very similar in appearance. (We solved this by getting a red collar for China and a blue one for Marge.)
- Decided that the only way from point A to point B in the bedroom is to run across my chest while I am reading in bed, perhaps with a brief stop to purr and rub my chin.
- Been fascinated by the moving cards when I play Solitaire on my iPad.
I know you are all breathlessly waiting to find out their new names. There were many excellent contributions, a couple of them clear audience favorites:
- Thelma & Louise (nancy davis, Chris, nothingbutknit2, Diane, Pat M)
- Lucy & Ethel (Mary Jo, nancy davis)
- Ella [Fitzgerald] & Billie [Holiday]
- Ebony & Ivory
- Salt & Pepper
- Cagney & Lacey
- Penny & Amy
- Scarlett & Melanie
- Katniss & Everdeen
- Katniss & Peeta
- Black & White
- Ozzy [Osborne] & Elvira [Mistress of the Night]
- Blot & Spot
- My Cat & My Other Cat
- Bonnie & Clyde
- Yoko & John
- Blackie & Blacker
- Sonny & Cher
- Simone & Garfunkel
- Sly & Stone
- Spot & Puff
- Ottilia & Lavinia
- Jolene & Dolly
- Jing & Ping
- Inky & Blinky
- Itsy & Bitsy
- Char & Coal
- Mickey & Oswald
- Tacy & Stacey
- Lottie & Lisa
- Sun & Moon
- Diana & Artemis
- Frick & Frack
- Mr & Mrs
- Stitch & Angel
And the winner is…
Thelma & Louise!
Seriously, how could I not choose the names suggested by so many different people? My other personal favorites were Scarlett & Melanie, Ozzy & Elvira, and Simone & Garfunkel. But we had already decided that, 1, the names should be two syllables each, and B, they had to not sound too much alike because kitties are not the brightest critters on the planet. China, the more active, inquisitive, and assertive one, will be Louise; Marge, the shyer, more reticent one, will be Thelma.
Since there were multiple suggesters of the winning names, I did a random drawing:
and the winner is nancy davis. Nancy, I have emailed you to send me your snail mail address,
Thanks to everyone for playing along with me!