While I found myself in a frogging mood, I unraveled another thing that had been a WIP since at least November 2014.
It is a little hard to tell from the photo, but the edge of the shawl was w-a-y tight. That is a perennial problem with crescent-shaped shawls, but it was even worse with this one because that variegated yarn had absolutely zero elasticity. The light and dark gray-blue are both Knit Picks Gloss fingering (70/30 merino/silk); the variegated is a handspun wool/mohair blend (my memory tells me that it had some llama in it, too (the spinner does have llamas) but Ravelry disagrees).
There are ways to combat that excessive tightness at the edge, primarily by doing a yarnover one stitch in from the edge, then dropping it on the next row; that adds a few extra millimeters of yarn at the edge every other row. I tried that, but it wasn’t enough — the edge was still very, very tight.
The real problem, I think, was that I was having so much trouble keeping track of which row of the pattern I was on. Anyway, I decided there was little to no chance I would ever finish this, so to the frog pond it went.