Being a new mom is joyous and terrifying and exhausting, not necessarily in that order. Given that our society has become so mobile and urban in the last 50+ years, it is unlikely that any new mom has the built-in support network of extended family that previous generations enjoyed. Hence, this ToT.
Ten Ways To Help A New Mom.
- Bring over a complete dinner one night. (Let her pick the night.)
- Bring over a couple casseroles (in disposable pans) that she can throw in the freezer and have ready for that night she absolutely positively cannot cook.
- Give her a coupon good for a service — an afternoon or evening of baby sitting, x hours of errands, whatever you can think of.
- Share the contact info for your favorite baby sitter(s).
- Share your own memories of early motherhood, particularly the horror stories.
- Give her the URL of any mom blogs that you think she may enjoy.
- Knit for the baby.
- Knit for her.
- Make a sign she can put on her front door: Baby and Mom are sleeping. Please do not disturb.
- (for a not-so-new mom, one with other kids) Give her a coupon good for you taking the other kids out of the house for an afternoon — zoo, park, McDonalds, whatever — so she can enjoy the baby (and get in an uninterrupted nap while the babe sleeps).