Squares go marching on.

One night I had an idea. What if I made a mitered square blanket, alternating white-ish squares with colored ones? It would be an easy project, although a long one, and I like knitting mitered squares. And it would be fun to watch the colors comes together.

So I gathered all the white and off-white worsted from the stash into one bag and an assortment of colors of worsted into another and set off.

P1000899

The white-ishes.

P1000877

Some of the colored yarns.

P1000876

Another view.

P1000875

These are the accent yarns. Every row and every column will have at least one accent square.

I started knitting. And it was addicting. I was on a roll, adding square after square, choosing colors, planning ahead. Eventually I made myself finish the row I was on and quit. I had other knitting that had deadlines. This afghan was a whim and could not be allowing to take over my knitting life.

But it calls to me…

P1000874

P1000873

P1000872

This entry was posted in knitting, Squares. Bookmark the permalink.

8 Responses to Squares go marching on.

1. highlyreasonable says:

A truly excellent idea and I love the results. Heed the call of the knitting!

2. Kat with a K says:

I love this! Fantastic idea and yes, when knitting calls – you.must.answer!

3. kathy b says:

I made this in a teeny tiny blanket during a car trip. I backed it with garter so It was double sided.
    I cant bear to give it away.

4. Deb in PA says:

Very cool! What a great idea.

5. =Tamar says:

kathy_b: Lap blankets are very useful in cars.

6. Soxanne says:

What a great way to use up the whites – it looks wonderful!

Are you knitting it together as you go, or making individual squares and sewing them?
    It looks like a perfect project – soothing and comfy both as process and product!