This week Carole has us thinking about what we would like to learn… if we could do so INSTANTLY! Boy, howdy, what a great topic! Here goes…
- HTML and style sheets. I am learning about these slowly. Instantly would be nice.
- Network protocols and a whole bunch of other computer stuff. Not that I need it, but a little more knowledge would be nice.
- Two-color brioche knit flat. I have a plan and the yarn for it. Now to get out my notes from the Yarnover class and learn it. But instantly? Whee, cast on!
- A foreign language or five. French. German. Japanese. Chinese. Italian. Oh, and enough Spanish to be fluent; my high school and college Spanish allows me get some of the gist of written Spanish and to pick out the occasional word in spoken Spanish.
- European history. Most of what I know has been picked up through my art history studies and from historical fiction, so it is heavily slanted toward cultural history. A little political history would be good.
- American history. I probably have a better grasp than the person on the street, but a more detailed, complete, and nuanced understanding would be better.
- Drawing. I have to design things in my head because I am crap at drawing. Having a mental picture is really only the first step, and I get a little jealous when I see other knitters make sketches of what they want to make.
- To play the piano well. I had three or four years of piano lessons as a child, but I hated to practice and never got very good. My piano is still in the Minneapolis house. If I had it here and could play well, life would be better.
- Music theory. Why not?
- Advanced mathematics. Differential and integral calculus killed my goal of being a math major in college. I would still like to understand them — and what comes after — not that it would make an iota of difference in my daily life now.
Edited to add: After looking at some of the other ToT lists, I realized I forgot one thing that I really do want to learn: how to use all the bells and whistles on my camera. It is a point and shoot, but p&s cameras keep getting more features, i.e., more complicated.
Edited to add redux: I am happy to announce I know how to do a couple-three things on others’ lists: sew, crochet, and work spreadsheets. It is good to remind ourselves of what we already know.
Edited to add ad nauseum: Apparently EVERYONE wants to learn HTML