I wonder what would happen if I…

One day a couple weeks ago Smokey was taking a nap and I was doing crosswords on my iPad while keeping him company. As I figured out the three-letter word for a particular lyricist ("IRA"), my mind wandered to a yarny problem. What could I do with the remaining pink/orange/purple sock yarn now that I had used about half of it in fingerless gloves? The obvious answer, to me at least, was to overdye it. But with what color? Red? I had plenty of red yarns. Blue? Ditto purple yarn. Hmmm

Well, if green and red make brown (and they do), I wonder if green and pink would make tan? (Hover over photos for additional comments.)

That yarn is offensive to my eye; way too 1970s. I despise pink, and purple and orange are not much better.
Lemon-lime Kool-Aid, here I come.
(And let us rejoice that my Kool-Aid stash included lemon-lime.)

I really tested the superwash qualities of this Lana Grossa sock yarn, dropping it from cold tap water directly into the boiling dye bath.  Just in time for St. Paddy's Day!
Pre-dye soaking.                                                       Kool-Aid is dissolved.

Do you know how hard it is to take a photo of a boiling pot without getting the lens steamed? Very hard, that's how hard.
Dyebath is ready.

Please note the lovely colors of my 1976 kitchen.
The dyeing begins.

Yes, I timed it. Wouldn't you?   Most of the dye absorption happened in the first couple minutes.

Stopwatch shows 5:16. Dyebath not quite exhausted yet.

Since it was clear that I didn't have to worry about the yarn getting too dark, I left the room and did other stuff for 20 minutes or so.
I took a photo of my kitchen counter as the iPhone lay there. As one does.

Yup. Exhausted.  It was a gorgeous sunny day.
Dyebath exhausted.                  Dyed yarn in clear rinse.

It's a little better, although I was hoping for something darker.
Wet.

Still pink, but with a stunning lack of offensiveness.
Dry.

This entry was posted in Dyeing, Yarn. Bookmark the permalink.

0 Responses to I wonder what would happen if I…

That came out great!

2. Mary Jo says:

It does look so much better! I have some yarn that has never been dyed and I have some packets of Kool-Aid. I just can’t seem to get the courage to try this. Plus, what color should I try to get? You made this look so easy that I may just go ahead and do it!

3. Bonny says:

Many great experiments start with “I wonder what would happen…” and yours turned out great!

4. kim in oregon says:

So great!! But how did the kool aid know to color the pink and not the rest of it? Or am I missing something?

Well, that certainly calmed down those colors. Success!
    I’m not a fan of pink, either. As a matter of fact, the only time I can even tolerate it is in the presence of purple and orange…

6. kathy b says:

WOw. You Transformed that yarn. Lovely!! WOUld make great fingerless or socks

That turned out great. A brew made from natural stuffs — onion skins and the like — can do wonders to tone down bright yarns, too.

8. Linda says:

Beautiful skein! The best things always seem to start with “I wonder what would happen…..” Dyeing is soooo much fun! Have a very Happy Easter; wishing you a wonderful Spring!

9. Lorette says:

That is great! Though I sort of like the original neon colors, the overdyed version is better.