Ten on Tuesday, the curiosity edition.

Ten Things I Wish I Knew More About.

1. String theory.
  2. Making buttonholes in my knitwear. I signed up for a class at Yarnover but missed the whole thing because sick.
  3. Chemistry. I had one year in h.s.
  4. Biology. Ditto.
  5. Quantum theory.
  6. [I wish I could speak] French.
  7. Mid-Eastern history.
  8. European history.
  9. Political theory since WWII.
  10. Electricity and electronics.

This entry was posted in Links. Bookmark the permalink.

0 Responses to Ten on Tuesday, the curiosity edition.

That’ll take a whack of heavy reading to remedy, eh?
    Right there with you on all the science-y stuff.

2. Becky says:

This summer I’ve decided to study Stanley Kubrick

You’ll notice there was nothing remotely science-like on my list. Ahem.

Haha. GEEK alert!! 😉

5. anne says:

Ditto for me on speaking French. Or any foreign language for that matter!

6. margene says:

I’m not much for science , but I’d like to know more about history and the events that shaped the current political dynamics.

7. Bonny says:

It sounds like you might enjoy some of the Great Courses that Kym talked about! I’m actually considering some of the cheaper ones. We science geeks need to stick together!

8. Donna says:

Great list! I fiddle my way through button holes but I would like to know a better method.

9. =Tamar says:

I strongly recommend
    for really good tutorials on everything to do with knitting, including buttonholes.
    As for the rest, um, I believe it was MIT that I heard had put all their classes online.

10. Patti says:

Wow — heavy, heavy stuff and far out of my league. I’m not a science or math person by any means, and I have lots of respect for those of you who are. 🙂

11. soxanne says:

Way, way more scientific than my interests ~ good for you!
    For buttonholes may I suggest Margaret Fisher’s “Seven things that can make or break a sweater”?
    I’m reading “A time traveler’s guide to medieval England” so I guess I’ve got the history kinda covered 😉
    That’s all I’ve got.

12. TLK says:

The public library in my town has a decent selection of the Great Courses dvds; maybe yours does too! I recently bought a botany coloring book and a set of colored pencils. It is a great way to learn visual information. I have a friend just out of med school who says her human anatomy coloring book really helped cement the knowledge into the little grey cells of her brain. Both the local university and the local technical college offer free courses, either audited (university) or for credit (technical school) for people “of a certain age”. There are so many ways, and things, to learn!

Massive Online Open Classes, I think. MOOC. I was signed up for a philosophy course this spring, and then I changed my real courses and had to let it drop.
    Except for French. I think you need somebody to listen to you. But it’s easy to read.

14. Deirdre says:

Some of the Great Courses are now available on Audible – a whole course is available for 1 credit. I’m currently listening to the Big History course which is multi-disciplinary & covers earth history starting at the Big Bang and moving through to the rise of humanity.

15. Melissa says:

Maybe we should all pick a subject to study this summer. It could be a challenge of some sort. I’m so with you on the button holes. I’ve lost nearly all the French I learned in high school. So annoying. I have so many holes in my knowledge of history. Good luck.

16. Jocelyn says:

See, now, I have zero desire to learn more about anything physics-related, as I know from high school Honors Physics that it will just make me cry.