Update 3.

Smile!
photo credit: alonso.romero via photopin cc

Yes, we are all smiling. Smokey is improving hourly, so much so that Younger Son went back to work today and only stopped in at the hospital during his lunch break, and Elder Son and I drove back to Wisconsin for an overnight to see the dogs and check the mail and for me to get some more clean clothes šŸ™‚

Thank you all for your good thoughts and wishes and emails. It all helped me in ways I don't even understand myself. For those of you who reminded me to take care of myself, I am. Without even consciously thinking about it, my self-care plan was to keep to my normal sleep schedule. No sleeping in a chair next to Smokey's hospital bed for days at a time. ES kept giving me a hard time about how late I would get to the hospital in the morning — 10:00 is apparently late in the medical world — but I refused to set an alarm for myself. I suck at sleep deprivation. So with at least eight hours every night I am maintaining just fine šŸ™‚

Smokey was moved from the ICU to a stepdown bed this afternoon. The latter is a bed in a unit with a higher patient-to-nurse ratio than the ICU but lower than a regular unit; a kind of transition unit. Unlike the first couple days when he had more tubes and wires coming out of him than I could count, he now has two IVs that are not attached to anything, used when the nurse(s) need to give him an injection; a nasal cannula giving him some extra oxygen; a finger oximeter to measure his oxygen saturation; and a heart monitor in the pocket of his gown that is connected to leads stuck to his chest. (I knew you wanted all the gory details.) His mental state is nearly normal — kind of like if he were just really tired. Which he probably is.

He went for his first walk today, with the physical therapist. He also had his first sort-of-solid food — cream of mushroom soup, vanilla pudding, orange sherbet, some crackers. His major complaint is that his sternum and ribs are extremely sore from the CPR. That makes it painful to move in bed or to transition from lying down to sitting on the edge of the bed or vice versa. Opioids make him nauseous, but the medical staff has found the exact right balance of pain medication and anti-nausea drugs so he is (relatively) comfortable.

If his vital signs continue to move toward stability as they have been doing he may come home this weekend. ES has booked a flight back to NYC on Saturday, but paid the extra $20 for cancellation insurance just in case.

Again, thank you all. I cannot begin to say how much you have helped.

This entry was posted in Smokey knee. Bookmark the permalink.

0 Responses to Update 3.

1. tammy says:

Hooray! So glad that things are improving. Sending you more hugs and healthy vibes!

2. Helen says:

We’ll still keep up the good thoughts. šŸ™‚

3. Kirstie says:

So glad he’s improving so quickly!

Hooray for good news! I’ve been thinking about you all and I’m glad to read that he is doing so well.

5. Joan says:

Such good news and I totally approve of your sticking to a good sleep schedule – you will need to be rested for when he comes home. Thinking about you often through the day.

So happy to read good news!! Keep on keepin’ on!! šŸ™‚

7. margene says:

Good news! Thank you for keeping us up to date. Smokey rocks! Safe travels!

8. kmkat says:

Just got the phone call — he is being discharged this afternoon šŸ™‚

9. Melissa says:

SO glad to here that he gets to come home today. That’s such good news. Thank the gods for great medical care. Glad to hear that your managing to take care of yourself with the help of your sons. (I’ve never really understood why doctor’s think one is mentally functional at 6AM. I do much better after 9 or 10 is even better.)

10. Rebecca says:

Great news! I hope he continues to improve.
    Poor Smokey. I had CPR once and it’s a b-tch. I don’t think people realize how traumatic it is to the body. Hope his ribs are intact. Every day will be a little better.

11. Catherine says:

Yay, great news. Good for Smokey, he sounds like a champ. It’s like you are doing great at handling your time in the hospital. I found a mindless knitting project, a mystery series on the kindle, a bad cup of coffee or tea and music on headphone did a great job of keeping me sane. But nothing will beat getting home and being surrounded by all your favorite things.

12. Mary says:

nice to hear – thanks for the updates. Hope you have knitting!

13. Jean & Harold says:

My injuries from the car accident a year ago December were mainly from the seat belt compression of my sternum and ribcage, plus a shoulder wrench, so I understand how painful Smokey’s sternum is. There is a little expanse of cartilege that’s not quite hard bone, but flexible, and this can become quite inflamed after hard pressure has been applied, which thank God IT WAS!!! Good to hear you stuck to your sleep plan, because your family doesn’t need two patients at this time. Clear thinking on your part. Hang in there, this has been quite a shock to your both, in different ways (pun intended) and will take some time to process. Will keep you all in our prayers, Jean in Calgary

14. Julie says:

It’s amazing how quickly he gets to come home. Continued improvement and fast healing to you, Smokey!