Ten on Tuesday, the breakfast edition.

My breakfast choices have narrowed considerably since I went gluten-free, so I am going to cover both old and current choices.

Ten Favorite Things To Eat For Breakfast.

1. (now, winter) Oatmeal with apple chunks. 1/2 cup regular oatmeal, 1 cup water, 2 rounded teaspoons of cinnamon sugar (I mix it up and keep a jar in the cupboard), dash of salt. Nuke for 2 minutes on High. Meanwhile, peel, core, and cut up an apple into bite-size chunks. Add to oatmeal when the microwave dings; nuke for another minute.

2. (now, summer) Same as above but substitute fresh blueberries for the apple. I adore blueberries, especially when they are in something cooked or baked.

3. (now) Udi's GF granola.

4. (now) Pancakes made with GF Bisquick, topped with butter and real maple syrup. Peppered bacon on the side. This has become a Sunday tradition in the past month or so.

5. (now) If we go out for breakfast, an omelet with everything — sauteed vegies, cheese, diced ham. Or corned beef hash topped with an egg, over easy.

6. (recent past) I used to buy a banana on the way to the office every morning. That kept me going until lunchtime.

7. (before gf) Toasted bagel with cream cheese. Probably topped with cinnamon sugar.

8. (before gf) Toasted English muffin with lemon curd.

9. (before gf) Largish wheat tortilla spread thinly with peanut butter, a banana sliced lengthwise in the center, then rolled up. Yum!

10. (before gf) Same as previous but spread with peanut butter and jelly.

Frankly, I have to force myself to eat breakfast and I don't do it every day. I do have a large 4-short latte and a glass of Simply Juice oj every morning, though. And now, please excuse me. I just remembered Smokey bought me some fresh blueberries. I need to make some oatmeal STAT!

This entry was posted in Food and Drink, Ten on Tuesday. Bookmark the permalink.

0 Responses to Ten on Tuesday, the breakfast edition.

1. Donna says:

I’m not much of a breakfast person either unless it’s the weekend. I just grab and go during the week. That peppered bacon sounds delicious!

That tortilla/banana/peanut butter combo sounds great!

Mmmm, bacon. My liver is upset with me, so I can’t have it – for now. And maple syrup, mmmm. I’ve been out for a week now. I might have to leave the house tomorrow and get some.
    I do steel-cut oatmeal, with buckwheat groats and a pinch of flaxseed meal and blueberries and milk – and since I’m out of maple syrup, honey. It’s just not the same. And once a week, scrambled eggs with spinach and parmesan cheese, for second breakfasts. I had to give up toast six months ago, and I miss it. Definitely sob-worthy.

I like breakfast quite a lot. That said, I rarely eat more than a simple and quick bowl of cereal, preferably with some fruit (fresh or dried). And I never eat oatmeal. (Hates the stuff.)

I like breakfast, but not in the morning. (Can’t even force myself to eat in the morning.) We have breakfast for supper quite often. Waffles with a side of bacon. Eggs, toast, and homefries. Pancakes – blueberry for Madman, plain for me.
    My tummy likes breakfast much more when it’s awake…

6. Gillian V says:

Your new breakfasts sound mostly healthy. If you like texture, you might like steel cut oats (if you haven’t already tried them). The cooking time should be similar, but you could look up other recipes. I’m a pro breakfast person, myself, and wouldn’t leave the house without it.

7. Julie says:

I have a smoothie nearly every morning, but it sure is oatmeal season! Yours sounds tasty. I agree with Gillian, I love steel cut oats with its the hearty chewy deliciousness. Here’s the way I make it: http://www.dishingitoutinthevalley.com/2013/01/10/irish-oatmeal/

My go-to breakfast for years has been gf peanut butter toast and a glass of OJ. However, Keflex messed up my sense of taste, so now I’ve been eating oatmeal because it’s bland enough to be safe.