Many thanks to Betsy and Donna for sharing their sock yarn leftovers with me.
The packages were waiting for me when we got back from vacation. I opened them and marveled, then spent an entire Saturday evening and most of Sunday rewinding things into tidy center-pull balls.
I adore winding yarn on my ball winder, although it did get a little tedious after the
first dozen balls. So I moved the entire operation to the living room, where I could watch TV.
Please note the clever use of Edward Said's Orientalism, which I read on vacation.
My first pass at categorizing the yarns by color family.
As you can see, I am a bit light in the greens. If any of you have leftover sock yarn of the green persuasion, I'd be happy to take it off your hands.
Some of these — previously mine and donated — didn't make the cut, althrough no fault of their own. They just didn't quite fit into the plan.
Somewhere in the knitting of the first dozen or so squares, the overall plan of the afghan morphed into a different overall plan, one that I liked much better. It also had the advantage of being doable, as opposed the original vague plan which was not achievable without some significant warping of the space-time (and -color) continuum.
I happily knat away with the new plan in my head but soon realized that having a definite plan in my head did not necessarily translate to good yarn/color selections every time I started a new square.
So I did a real plan for the current quadrant…
…which looked like this before the infusion of all that new yarn.
Aside: Elizabeth asked how much yarn each square takes. I weighed the afghan-in-progress and divided by the number of completed squares: each square is ~5g. There are 4 rows of black at the beginning of each square so the colored part is slightly less than 5g, but I need to allow for the ends to weave in. Let's say 5g of colored yarn for each square.