Home again.

After surgery there are certain things that are the recuperating patient's friend.

• A kind and generous caregiver, one who can keep the meds straight and the water bottle full and the phone answered.

• Satin sheets and pjs. Oh, how I wish we had known of this last summer when Smokey had his back surgery. It is SO hard to move in the bed when major muscle groups are out of commission. Slippery bedding helps a lot. One of our neighbors clued me in earlier this year; her mother had a hip replacement a few years back. (Remember this for when you/your significant other/your aging parent has major surgery. You can thank me then.)

• An internet appliance to put off boredom.

• Audio, either books or music. I wasn't quite with-it enough to read or listen to audiobooks, but music was perfect. I listened to a lot of newer classical music since I got home, music I don't always have the patience for. Zoe Keating, John Cage, Philip Glass. That has been fun. As soon as I finish this post I'm going to be sure my Steve Reich CD gets onto my iPod.

• These: Depends

I couldn't pee fast enough to dump all the fluids I was getting from the IV. Even after I came home I was swollen all over from fluids. I could make it almost all the distance from my bed to the toilet seat before my bladder would let go.  Sheesh. Fun times.

The surgery was Tuesday, June 4 and I came home Friday. Everything went well… until they gave me Cerebrex as an anti-inflamatory.

I discovered that I am allergic.

The post-op surgical and joint pain was nothing compared to the itching. Right now large areas of my body are covered in hives; the swelling in my eyes is nearly gone, and I can sit still for minutes at a time without scratching myself. Oral antihistimines were administered in the hospital to much relief, but they forgot to write an order for them when I was discharged. I suffered over the weekend with Benadryl — better than nothing, but not much — until Monday when I got a stronger one.

In other words, all is well again. As proof I offer this: earlier today I was halfway to the bathroom before I realized I had forgotten the walker.

This entry was posted in Hip replacement. Bookmark the permalink.

0 Responses to Home again.

I hope the kinks are ironed out, and send wishes for a swift recovery!

2. Melissa says:

Thank you for the satin sheets and pj’s idea. I know leather helps in a car, not sure why I never thought of some thing like it for the bed. Hives do suck. Glad to hear you’re improving and home. Hope they found some thing else to manage the pain.

3. Lorette says:

Oh man. Hives are no fun. Glad you are home and doing OK otherwise though.

4. Bonnie says:

So glad the surgery is over and you’re on the mend!

5. soxanne says:

Woo hoo! Glad to hear it went well (even if we can’t say, “without a hitch”)
    Enjoy your music and Smokey’s extra-special care.
    πŸ™‚

So glad you’re home and all’s well. (Or will be, once the hives go away. Calamine lotion can be your friend. Unless you’re allergic to it, too, of course…)
    Tell Smoky we’re all appreciative of his good work!

7. Erika says:

Good job, Smoky, and I’m glad to hear you’re on the mend!

8. Angie says:

Great list for future reference. I’m so glad you’re healing up nicely.

Wow, halfway to the bathroom sans walker – that’s pretty amazing! πŸ™‚
    Cursed itching…

10. Shirley says:

Wishing you a speedy recovery.

11. jeanne says:

Glad to read that you are on the mend – I just had hives on the soles of my feet – the only thing that helped was apple cider vinegar, diluted with water, as a soak. You might try a compress of the solution on the hives that still itch. Wishing you continued speedy healing!

Glad you’re home and so sorry about the allergic reaction! Hope you are doing even better now!

13. sparrowgrass says:

Hope you are feeling much better–sure wish I had known about the satin sheets!!

14. cursingmama says:

love the satin pj/sheets trick! Thanks for the update & I’m glad to hear that you are well on the way to recovery.

Thanks. I passed the satin sheets bit on to someone who is 27!!!!! and having a total hip replacement. I feel so bad for her.

16. Mary Lou says:

I hope I won’t need those tips myself. Glad you are home and moving. Maybe more ice cream will help.

Oh, so glad you’re back in action. (Well. You know what I mean.) Sending much healing energy your way. Plus . . . Steve Reich. Oh, YEAH!

18. Chelsea says:

I’m glad you’re recovering so well!