How the well-dressed bicycling camper sleeps.

Step 1. Find two sturdy trees at least ten feet apart but no farther than twenty.

Step 2. Suspend the rain fly between the selected trees. Put it as high as you can reach.

Step 3. Retrieve the hammock from your stuff sacks.

Step 4. Notice that a fellow camper is recording this for posterity. Untether the front side of the rain fly and flip it out of the way in order to reveal to the blogging world the awesomeness that is your bedsite.

Step 5. Attach the hammock support straps to the trees. (Please notice that the rain fly, which has little tension on it, is tied up with thin rope. The hammock, which will have considerable tension, is suspended from much wider straps so as not to damage the support trees.)

Step 6 – 12. Adjust the straps.

Step 13. When the hammock is suspended just right, unfurl it from its nylon sheath.

Step 14. Announce to the audience that the bedsite is now ready.

Step 15. Unzip the access opening in the hammock and demonstrate how to get into it.

Step 15a. Remember to remove your shoes.

Step 16. Carefully insert body into hammock.

Step 17. Admire your completed bedsite.

This entry was posted in Matthew, North Shore. Bookmark the permalink.

0 Responses to How the well-dressed bicycling camper sleeps.

Huh. I was beginning to wonder about mosquitoes when… VOILA! Insert self and zip right up! Neat-o.

2. mary lou says:

My sister and her 12 year old hammock camped all the way from Texas to MN. It seems ok, but what if there aren’t trees?

With how clumsy and uncoordinated I am, that’s a recipe for disaster. 😀

4. Jocelyn says:

This is actually how I sleep every night. Even in February. ‘Cause we’re tough in this neck of the woods.
    Actually, this was a revelation! To be so lightweight but protecting the user from the bugs??? LOVE.
    You have a great biker there.

I had no idea…
    Very impressive!
    We’ve done canoe camping on a river where we toted tents and sleeping bags and air mattresses and camp chairs and and and… My experiences with camping required a lot of stuff.

6. Lisa says:

We used to camp kinda like that… fly and a super light screen tent that had room for just the two of us, it was just a screen…. but we’d find a bunch of ways to tie up the fly depending on the weather. It was the breeziest freshest sleeping (on non rainy nights anyhow!).

7. bullwinkle says:

I’ve heard about hammocks but never slept in one (seriously). I’m not sure I want to. Then again, I must say that sleeping on the ground isn’t the most comfortable thing out there 😉

Wow! That is So Cool. What’ll they think of next. . .