PSA.

I came across this article today. Given that Younger Son  Eye candy Fridaycould have been killed last Friday night when he was [sort-of] T-boned on his bike, the timing seemed apropos.

How Not To Kill A Cyclist.

Update on YS's condition: he was sore all weekend but went to work on Monday, planning to take it easy that day — no running up and down stairs or moving electronic equipment from one studio to another. But by the end of the day, walking was becoming increasingly painful. He went to emergency room at Hennepin County Medical Center where, after the normal wait of six-plus hours (he was not having a heart attack or in danger of bleeding out, after all), he was seen, x-rayed, assured that he had not fractured anything, and sent home with Percoset. Elder Son and I had been visiting Smokey at the VA hospital that afternoon, so we brought YS some dinner and hung out with him for a couple hours in the ER waiting room before driving back to Wisconsin.

YS called this morning to update me on the ER visit. He went to work this morning but soon found that the Percocet-induced nausea (he is his father's son, after all) was not gonna go away so he went back home.

Update on Smokey: he called this morning to say he thought he would be released today. I am still waiting for his confirmation and the order to Please come get me please as soon as possible get me out of here I want to come home.

Update on the update: Smokey just called again. The Powers That Be have said, Maybe tomorrow.

Thank you all for your kind words and thoughts and sharing your knowledge. I am so, so grateful to still have a husband and both sons.

This entry was posted in Biking, Family, Matthew, Smokey back. Bookmark the permalink.

0 Responses to PSA.

1. Erika says:

Good grief, what a time. I’m glad everyone’s still around to be having all these troubles, I guess!

2. Big Alice says:

Gah, good to hear that they are both still kicking.
    And yes, THIS:
    “Ironically, one of the most common reasons motorists behave unexpectedly is out of courtesy toward us, such as at a four-way stop when a driver skips their turn and motions for the cyclist to proceed instead—it’s a kind gesture but a bad idea.”
    I appreciate that you are being kind but it really throws things off, mostly because now other drivers can no longer anticipate what’s going to happen when I’m on a bike around them.

I read that article a little while ago. Really helped my brain process stuff, and kept me from getting “doored.” I’m lucky to only bike on quiet residential streets, or down the corridor here in Ashland.
    I hope Smokey gets good and better this time, so you can have some sort of vacation.

4. Sophanne says:

What felt like a couple of “oh by the way…” stories have turned into your own mini shitstorm. You’re in my thoughts friend.

Makes me wonder how many of us have a story about car vs cyclist encounter. I hate that.
    I’m glad YS was seen and ruled mostly okay. Better than not knowing, I think. I remember those waiting at the ER days. Who knew that being wisked right in was a really bad thing? ;^)
    I hope Smokey comes home when you’re ready for him. He’s not likely to make a run for it, is he? o.O

6. Soxanne says:

Oh my.
    Am thinking of Smokey often, and YS now too.
    Hope all are recovered soon, and that you can squeeze in a vacation, or a staycation, or something…you all deserve it, that’s for sure!

7. Jocelyn says:

I feel more than half sick for you and yours here. Ugh, honey. Just ugh.
    I’ll say a prayer at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier this week (er, if we go there), in honor of your men.
    Which makes no sense and is kind of weird, which is exactly why.

8. bullwinkle says:

(hugs) I’m hoping your family “quiets” down a bit. Rest is a good thing but without the unexpected stresses. Hang in there.