Drive-by bullets.

• Smokey continues to improve. Very, very slowly.

• He googled "L5 fusion recovery" and found a site/BBS with posts from people with his same surgey and with recoveries that lasted weeks or months and who suffered from pain that he doesn't have.

• He now reminds himself how much worse it could be.

• Still, it will be a long, slow recovery.

• Boring.

• It has been ungodly hot and humid here.

• 88หš in the house.

• Blech.

• Those of you who live where hot and humid summers are the norm and are thinking "Wimp!", imagine that you had 4 – 6 weeks in the winter where the warmest it got was -10หšF.

• That is a rough equivalent of what this summer has been for us Northern types.

• Happily, the bedroom is air-conditioned.

• Sadly, the drain holes on the window air conditioner were plugged.

• I have used a handheld wet vac on the floor next to Smokey's bed twice.

• Unplugged the drain holes yesterday.

• Set up two fans to dry out the carpet.

• Keeping fingers crossed.

• A miracle occurred sometime while I was sleeping last night.

• When I came out of the bedroom this morning, the house was comfortable.

• A mere 80หš.

• I opened the window in the bedroom and pulled back the curtains.

• Smokey said the sunlight and fresh air were a boost to his spirits.

• He generally prefers our bedroom to be more of a cave — dark and cool.

• Even dark and cool can get boring.

• Bald eagle just flew over the yard.

• Life could be a lot worse.

Blogger note: I wrote this yesterday afternoon but just as I tried to preview and publish it, my mouse stopped working. For the umpteenth — well, third — time in as many days. Did you know that without a mouse you cannot do ANYTHING? I tried to publish it from my iPad, but hitting "Publish" there did nothing. (Why not, Typepad? When are you going to put out a mobile blogging app, huh?) My googling for solutions came to naught. Then I mentioned my problem in a comment on Erika's blog, and BINGO! she sent me a link to a troubleshooting page, from whence I fixed the problem! Her google-fu is clearly superior to mine. Thanks again, Erika!)

This entry was posted in Antler Lake, Smokey back, Summer, Technology and The Kat. Bookmark the permalink.

0 Responses to Drive-by bullets.

1. Erika says:

Hooray! I do what I can!

Happy to hear that Smokey is improving… and getting some sunlight and fresh air. The weather has been MERCILESS and I am bracing for my electric bill. Here’s to continued improvement — in both Smokey’s recovery and in the weather!!
    ๐Ÿ˜‰

We’ve had the AC OFF!!! for TWO DAYS!!!! I have gone outside!
    Here’s hoping the slow but steady continues.

Go, Smokey, go! Heal fast!
    We’ve been having the hot and humid up here in Vermont, too, and we’re really not equipped for it. (To continue your analogy, it’s like the 4-6 weeks of -10 with only a windbreaker and a pair of fingerless mitts…)

5. bullwinkle says:

I did not think “wimp” (I did think “wonder if they have any a.c?” along with oof – hot and humid and recovering? (How the heck would you know if you had a fevor/infection???))
    Sorry it’s slow (but steady!) recovery. Yay for eagles ๐Ÿ™‚
    On a side note – it was 95 yesterday and I was *thankful* it wasn’t too hot.

Yay for the getting your mouse working again! ๐Ÿ™‚ I hate using a mouse – I’m very fond of trackpads. Much more efficient than lifting my right hand up all the time to use the mouse.
    And I can’t believe that Typepad doesn’t have a mobile blogging app.

7. Laurie says:

Glad he is good enough to complain. There is no good, graceful way to be a patient. The hardest part (for you) is having to do everything he would be doing.

Well. That’s a lot going on. Heat. Humidity. Healing. Mouse woes. Here’s to a continued smooth recovery for Smokey. . . and some cooling breezes for you.