Sometimes ya just gotta bite the bullet.

I picked up the Herringbone Cowl again. Close scrutiny of it revealed several things that displeased me. (Scissors are included as a pointer, also as something with hard edges for my camera to focus on.)

First, there was this. Believe me, it is much more obvious in real life.

Error 1

Then there was this little mess:

Error 2

But mostly there was this:

Good-bad

The first half dozen rows  (bottom) look fine, which tells me that the pattern instructions contain the secret to making a seamless transition from K2tog in one round to K2togtbl in the next and vice versa. Apparently after that first half dozen rows I decided that I knew what I had to do and no longer looked at the directions.

Bad Kat.

If I were making this for myself I might let it go, since I generally subscribe to the galloping horse theory of knitting. But it is for Alex, and I just cannot give such a substandard piece of knitting to a loved one.

Frog pond, here I come*!

* But I am only going to frog back to the good part. I may have perfectionist tendencies but I ain't stupid.

This entry was posted in Alex, Cowls, knitting. Bookmark the permalink.

0 Responses to Sometimes ya just gotta bite the bullet.

1. Erika says:

Is it wrong that I LOLd? What can I say – I always feel better seeing that other accomplished knitters make dumb-ass mistakes, too.

2. Linda says:

ooohhh, I hate it when that happens!! I knew there was a reason why I don’t like frogs…….in any way, shape or form! Well, here’s hoping it all works out for you the second time around. Have a great week/weekend.

3. Mary Lou says:

Sometimes you just have to rip, it’s true. Unless you want to cut and seam, but that would be more work that is less fun. Don’t you hate it when the directions prove correct?

Oh. Been there. Done that. (Too many times, actually.)

5. Melissa says:

Since I’ve got the yarn to cast on for this. I’ll attempt to learn from you and always keep the directions at hand while knitting this. I guess it won’t be travel knitting. (Travel Knitting- a project that fits on top of my purse to keep me calm while standing in line, talk after dinner out, stuck in traffic, etc.)

And how come we let ourselves go so far before noticing we’ve majorly f’ed up?!

7. bullwinkle says:

Aaaaye! The hard part (actual ripping) is probably over – but I hate it when that happens!
    Error 1 I’d live with. Error 2 I’d rip because it’s so close. Error 3, omg. I’d be tempted to stow it in a closet in a plastic bag for a looong time out. But that’s kind of like punishing yourself for not following directions. The yarn is just resting, patiently, for you to return. 😉

8. Soxanne says:

Oh my. A pity to frog, but whatcha gonna do? Girl-child hates it when I frog things, but we all have our own tolerance levels … Some higher, some lower…

I think it’s a sign of remarkable maturity for young slips of things like you and me. Although I am 29 now, more or less….
    Yes. You must rip.
    Hey, I just glanced at your books read thing. Did you go for book for of Game of Thrones? I couldn’t take so many people getting killed. I was figuring I’d just pick up the last book and see if Tyrion was King of the World.

Oh boy. Been there, done that!!

11. Heather says:

That is just downright tragical. I hate having to cut into work!

I’ve had projects that I’ve knit several times over – knit, frog, knit, frog, knit… (It used to drive my 1st husband nuts watching me rip out hours of work.)
    That one, I’d be tempted to just buy new yarn and start over…