R.I.P., Dick Clark.

Best comment on his passing, retweeted by lectio

"Dick Clark is dead at 82. Now we will not be able to ring in the New Year properly. Well played, Mayans, well played."

* * * * *

I am loving the new iPad. Read the NYTimes in bed this morning (very smugly, I might add).

So far I have Adobe, Kindle, Atomic Lite (a browser specially designed for mobile devices that I have on my iPod as well), Skype, PBS (thanks, Kym!), CBS MN, KARE11, KSTP.com, (those three are Twin Cities TV stations), NPR Hourly News, The Weather Channel, WI State Journal (Madison newspaper), the Wall Street Journal, the aforementioned NYTimes, Twitter, a calculator, a clock/stopwatch/timer/alarm, and G! All of those except the NYT and WSJ were free, which is generally my preferred price.

G!, aka G-Whizz! is something I was not aware of. It is a Google apps browser, with integrated access to Gmail, Gtalk, Facebook, Twitter, Google+, Reader, voice, and a number of other googly  things. It was free (ad-supported) and I am not yet convinced it is worth the $2.99 it would cost to get rid of the ads. Its Twitter feed does not seem to update properly, and Twitter's own app is so good that really, why would I want another? Time will tell…

A request: All of you who have an iPad, please share the name (and price) of your favorite app in the comments. Knitting apps are, of course, solicited most sincerely.

ETA: I love word games, don't much care for ones like Angry Birds.

This entry was posted in Web/Tech. Bookmark the permalink.

0 Responses to R.I.P., Dick Clark.

That is a fabulous comment on the passing of Dick Clark. I have an iPad but it’s the first one not the new uber-fancy one!

2. Julie Hildebrand says:

Congrats on the new iPad! If you’ve always wanted a koi pond try the free pocket pond. Terry is hooked on Word Tower. It’s 1.99 but worth it. I like the KnitEvenly app. It’s a calculator that helps you to evenly increase and decrease in a row. Evernote is a great app that can synch with all your devices.
    I also do a lot of screen shots for recipes on the web and create separate photo albums for salads, bread, etc.. To screen shot you hold the home button and the on/off button at the same time. You’ll find the shot in your camera roll.
    Are u going to Pat’s tomorrow? I’m planning on iit, so I’ll bring my IPad.

3. Shirley says:

It took me a while to get hooked, but I do have a lot of fun with Words With Friends.

(Like Carole, I also have the first version of iPad. Love it. . . even though it’s not as fancy.) I’ve already told you about the PBS app and Zen Garden. I’m learning to use KnitCompanion on my iPad. It’s expensive (once you download the full set of functions), but a few knitting pals use it and LOVE it — especially for more charts and re-ordering lengthy patterns.

5. Heather says:

Bluefire is a very good app for reading ebooks, particularly if you like to get some of the freebies from sites like Manybooks.net. And there is an Overdrive app that works well with library books – if your local library offers it, you can hook the Overdrive app in and use that to handle the borrowing.
    I don’t know if you read the New Yorker or not, but if you do, you can access your subscription through their app.

6. bullwinkle says:

I will second Evernote. Istapaper – lets me save stuff on-line to read later (I got the wifi edition.) Goodreader – for pdf’s. Especially those knit pdf’s that need re-sizing and note-taking.
    I have not found a GPS (that I like – it may be personal.)
    And just recently, someone told me there is a “flashlight” application. Love it. Ymmv – our power reliability sucks.