Why, yes, the dogs had a nice New Year’s. too.

On Sunday Matthew came up to the lake for the day and brought along Ser Percival. Percy and Lucy and Misha, our new dog (more on her another day) romped through the house and play-tussled and and play-bowed and played tug-o'-war with doggie toys. They were hilarious and entertaining and overful of energy.

At one point we put the three of them outside onto the deck, from whence they could access the little fenced-in area at the foot of the deck stairs. Misha and Percy wiggled through a small opening and went for a nice runaround across the yard and into the woods and over the hill and across the driveway and through the woods on the other side and through the neighbor's yard and eventually back home. Matthew and I were watching out the window. We saw Misha make a l-o-n-g jump over a gully — I swear her hang time rivaled Michael Jordan's.

Later, after the dogs were tired and resting comfortably on various soft places about the house, he and I went to New Year's Day gathering of some library friends. We had a lovely time.

NY 1

We came home. Andrew was visiting a friend in Madison for New Year's; Smokey had worked the night before and would work again that night, so he had slept all afternoon. The three dogs puppies were unsupervised.

::cue ominous music::

What greeted us:

NY 2

Ruh roh…

NY 4  NY 5  NY 6

NY 7  NY 8  NY 9

NY 10

I laughed until tears ran down my face. Sometimes that is all you can do. The yarns had been in a basket on a table in the laundry room, safely behind a closed door (I thought). But one of us (his initials = Matthew) has great difficulty remembering to close doors. I gathered up all the yarn and put it safely out of the way until I could start detangling it.

Oops, I left a tiny bit hanging over the edge of the snack table. Guess what almost happened again.

NY 11

I spent hours on Monday — hours that could have been spent productively knitting — detangling. Still, I was sitting comfortably in my recliner with my audiobook playing (A Feast for Crows, thanks for asking) and playing with yarn, so it could have been worse.

The result.

NY triumph

1. The balls I wound on Monday.
  2. The unsalvageable bits.
  3. The ball I wound Tuesday morning whilst chatting with Andrew and Smokey.
  4. The several yards detangled by Smokey but not wound into a ball yet. (His detangling method differs from mine.)

The pink and brown yarns are much, much harder because they were still skeined. The other yarns had already been wound into balls; that made them much easier to detangle.

Was/is it worth all the work? Who knows, but I got a pretty darned good blog posst out of it šŸ˜‰

This entry was posted in Animals, Ser Percy, Silliness, Yarn. Bookmark the permalink.

0 Responses to Why, yes, the dogs had a nice New Year’s. too.

1. Heather says:

Oh, dear! Yarn horrors! šŸ™‚
    Happy new year to you and yours!

2. Sheepish Annie says:

Don’t you wish the “cue ominous music” thing actually happened in real life? I could seriously use that kind of warning. At any rate, you seem to have a pretty good attitude about The Great Yarn Crisis. Sometimes it’s all you can do and who can be mad at “little” puppies anyway? Happy New Year! šŸ™‚

I love that you and Smokey have different detangling methods. Heheheh. So sorry that you had to do any detangling but, you’re right, it makes a pretty good story.

4. Soxanne says:

ugh!
    You’re right, it’s a good post, but I’m glad to be reading it, not writing it…

My little cat Ursula used to string yarn back and forth all over the house. Even when I was sure I’d closed the door to my craft room…
    I miss her even so.

6. Linda says:

Ohhhh boy! A knitter/pet owner’s nightmare!! Looks like some puppies need a “time out”! You have a lot more patience than I!! Maybe a Rubbermaid tote — with a snap-close lid?! Good job on the de-tangling, btw. Wishing you a quiet, untangled week!

7. Susan says:

Oh my gosh!! My Min Pin likes to run off with balls of yarn. She usually returns them though…after a chase. šŸ˜‰

Oh goodness!
    What are you doing with pink yarn, anyway? ;^)

9. Carrie#K says:

I can just see the dogs puzzling at why you don’t play properly with yarn…….they must’ve had a ball.

10. Sara says:

Oh my goodness. I am so glad you were able to laugh… and cry. I think I would have wept for a couple days. Meanwhile, I have one of the same TV tables stashed behind my couch. It belonged to my Gramsy. It reminds me of her house and being a small person.

Ohhhhhh. . . dogs! So glad you had such a fabulous attitude about the whole incident. (Laughing is really the Only Way sometimes.) When Jenny was a puppy, I was working on a multi-color project with Kid Silk Haze. I was very careful about it — because Jenny was drawn to the stuff! Guess what I found out???? Dog saliva MELTS Kid Silk Haze. . .

12. Lisa says:

Oh good lawd! Glad you could at least laugh…

13. Ruh roh. <— hahahahaha!
    Thanks for the laugh! I needed that.
    Happy new year šŸ˜‰