I’m back (again).

We spent nine days on the North Shore (of Lake Superior) in the mini-mini-motorhome, returning on the day before Labor Day, and it was glorious. I have some photos but am currently too lazy to upload them. Be assured, though, that I knit my little fingers to the bone — finished three projects (photos to come), started two more (ditto) — and had a great time doing it.

Before we left home, however, I bought myself a little prezzie.

Nook

It all started when I read a Gizmodo post abuot how the Motorola TouchPad was such a great deal for $100* (originally $400+). I was in WI when I read it and Smokey was in Minneapoils, so I emailed and sent him on a quest to buy me one. It turned out, however, that Motorola had recalled all the unsold ones from Best Buy the week before. There were none to be had. ::sob::

After much thoughtful consideration I decided that an ebook reader that was compatible with my library's ebooks would do the trick, and a trip to Wal-Mart and $139 plus tax later I had one of the El Cheapo Nooks in my hot little hands.

[digression] I tried to find a photo online of the aforementioned El Cheapo model, but nobody puts a picture of THAT poor thing online. All I could find were color Nooks and Nooks whose screen didn't quite look like mine. So you will have to settle for the image above; inadequate, but accurate. [/digression]

I immediately bought the tenth anniversary edition of American Gods by Neil Gaiman from Barnes & Noble, my choice for my book club's November read, and downloaded two ebooks from our library consortium. It turns out  that there is a very limited selection of ebooks from the library, but I did manage to find a couple that appealed as vacation reading. (Cathedral by Nelson DeMille and My Fair Lazy by Jen Lancaster, for those of you who are counting.)

If you know of any other sites for  free, Nook-compatible books, please sing out in the comments. Thank you in advance.

* I have since read that Motorola was surprised to discover what a great demand there was for a $100 (or $150, if the buyer wanted 32G instead of 16G of memory) tablet computer. They rethought their previous decision and subsequently decided to offer a few more TouchPads at the clearance price. In October. We shall see. In the meantime, I've got my Nook to keep me warm read.

This entry was posted in Books, Reading, Vacation. Bookmark the permalink.

0 Responses to I’m back (again).

So glad you had a grand time Way Up North! Can’t wait to see the photos and knitting. 🙂 No good sources for ebooks in this comment. I have iBooks on my iPad — and would love a compatible source. (But. Since it’s an iProduct, iAm sure iAm out.of.luck.)

2. sam says:

congrats!
    I seem to always need a few tries to get the free books on my nook but am slowly getting better.
    Free book sites:
    google ebookstore (search for free ones) and Project gutenberg
    I have been told to but have not yet checked out a trade site: eBook Fling
    Good luck!

3. cursingmama says:

The nook store releases a free book every friday! Between those & the books that cost less than $5 – I’ve managed to spend less on books this year than any other year before.

4. Erika says:

I bought myself a Kindle for my birthday last July, and every day I love it more than the day before! Enjoy!

5. Jeanne says:

Keep an eye on this blog for free/reduced ebooks: http://blog.booksontheknob.org/
    There tend to be more free Kindle books than anything else, but with my iPad and the Kindle app for iPad I’m all set. For Agency books if they are free one place they should be free everywhere else as well. Since going electronic last Christmas most of my reading has been free. You’ll also find books in other formats that your nook can handle. I agree that libraries don’t tend to have much, but find a book you want and get on the waiting list just like you always have.

6. Guinifer says:

I was going to give you the same blog as Jeanne. I find that there are much more Nook books than there previously were. (I have a Kindle.)

7. Carrie#K says:

So far I remain ebook reader free. How big is the Nook? I won’t divulge how long it took me to realize that was not a picture of said Nook.
    Also ‘heh’ at the read bit. Well done.

8. Phyllis says:

If you play on ravelry, there are several groups that are devoted to the nook and to e-readers in general. They always have good site suggestions. Search rav forums with variations of nook, e-book, free e-book/ebook, etc. You’ll come up with enough to keep you busy for a while. ^_^
    Phyllis

I have a Nook! The thing I love best is that you don’t have to flip over every time you turn a page, when you’re reading in bed.
    I second Project Gutenberg (You might have to download a translation program – I use Calibre). I’ve got a bunch of Sherlock Holmes, Portrait of the Artist as a young man, some Swedish fairy tales, and I found a site to download To The Lighthouse. I take the thing to bed with me, being sure to put it away before I fall asleep. Reduces the number of physical objects I have in bed at any one time.

10. soxanne says:

~sigh~
    Another one gives in to the ebook.
    I think you’ll enjoy reading this article about book technology:
    Gutenberg is good. Also this: http://www.planetebook.com/ has a carefully chosen selection. And do you know LibriVox for audio books? http://librivox.org/

I got a Kindle for my birthday. I didn’t think I’d like it as much as I do…
    My husband got it for me, thinking it would reduce the total number of books in the house. Silly man…

12. Heather says:

Yay for ebooks! Try Manybooks (http://www.manybooks.net/) for free books. You can read epub with the Nook, can’t you?
    I still read a fair number of ‘analog’ books, but I do really like my ebook. It’s especially handy for reading while eating…just prop that sucker up and press a button when it’s time to turn a page.

13. bullwinkle says:

Yay for you! You have great commenters (who know how to find free books! Not that I lack for reading material, but I’m always on the look out for options.)

14. Joan in Reno says:

I’m late to the party, but Barnes & Noble has free ebooks on their site. I have a Kindle, but my friend has a Nook and gets lots of free books there. Search “free books” on their ebook site.