Energy fair, or How To Have Fun While Keeping An Eye On The Toilets.

I volunteered at the Polk County Energy Fair today. Because I cannot walk very far or do heavy lifting or really anything remotely physical, my job was to check the women's bathroom every hour or so to be sure there were sufficient paper towels and t.p. and that no one had done anything disgusting. Except for the 30 seconds it took me to walk from my comfy camp chair out by the information booth to the restrooms every time, the job required roughly 3.5 minutes spread out over an 8-hour day.

A few of the information booth crew:

Energy 1

There were workshops and speakers. Five minutes before each round of workshops started, Dennis would skip (skip!) around the area ringing a cowbell and Jean (in the green dress) would put on her loudspeaker voice and announce the workshops.

Energy 2

This is the second annual energy fair. From the very beginning it has aimed to be a low-waste event. This recycling/composting/trash station sums up their success.

Energy 3

In between my arduous stints of checking the bathrooms, I spent most of the day knitting; it was my own little Knit In Public day. Three afghan squares done for Blankets for Birmingham:

Squares 1

En Esch approves.

Squares 2

This entry was posted in KIP, Rural life. Bookmark the permalink.

0 Responses to Energy fair, or How To Have Fun While Keeping An Eye On The Toilets.

1. Erika says:

En Esch is so soft and pretty! I mean, handsome!

2. bullwinkle says:

Hey – I just noticed – what yarn are you using? The colors flow… Nice big chunky blocks of color flowing 🙂

All the real power in life is held by the folks in charge of the TP.
    If the cat approves, you’ve done a great job.
    xo

I love the whole notion of an Energy Fair!!! I also love the afghan squares.

5. soxanne says:

I have to find myself a volunteer job like that one…
    The blocks look great.

6. Carrie#K says:

Everything is better with cowbell.
    En Esch has exquisite taste. Of course.

7. Just catching up on your blog…or anything I haven’t looked at in a while.
    I was caught unaware of your physical condition. Did something happen other than a few birthdays? Sounds kinda like me with my Fibromyalgia. Some days walking to my office is a field trip. Other days, not quite as bad. Luckily I have my electric scooter for long walk emergencies. You sound in good spirits. I hope all is well and that nothing but arthritis (not to minimize arthritis it is one of the top debilitaters) is the cause of your limitation rather than additional condition(s) on top with a cherry.

8. Chantelle says:

I love how knitting looks so much bigger than life in pictures by itself, and then reveals its true size when something else enters the frame for scale (ie/ cat). Movie makers would have it so easy if they knit their sets…