But I will try.
Ten Ways To Save Money At The Grocery Store.
- Take everything out of your wallet except the exact amount of cash that you have budgeted for groceries that week. Make no other trips to the grocery store except the one described. (I got this one from a Weight Watcher group leader years ago. It is probably the very best tip I have ever heard for grocery shopping on a budget.)
- Use coupons, but ONLY for those items you would have purchased anyway. Back when I used to clip coupons every week, I found that a large majority of them were for crappe — highly processed (and high profit margin) foods, unnecessary cleaning products, unhealthy snacks.
- Buy generics and house brands for items when you can live with their sometimes-lesser quality.
- Shop from a list and do not deviate from it.
- Buy ingredients, not finished foods. Cook from scratch.
- Shop mainly around the edge of the store — produce, dairy, meat.
- Avoid the chips-snacks-candy-soda aisle entirely.
- Join Costco and shop there. (There are other warehouse stores, but Costco treats their employees in a socially responsible manner, as opposed to the practices of Sam's Club/Walmart.
(When searching for some images to illustrate this post, I found this. She says it better than I.)
(Also when searching for images, I had to bypass several because the grocery bag/cart/basket contained bottled water. What a waste of money — and generator of plastic waste — THAT is.)