Bear!

Last Thursday evening when we were eating dinner at Cascade Lodge on the North Shore, Smokey left the table to go out to the van to get a refrigerator dish for his leftovers. (No styrofoam take-out containers were harmed in this act.) A moment later he came hurrying back into the restaurant to get me.

"There's a bear in the parking lot!" he said.

I grabbed my camera and followed him back outside.

Bear 1

The chef was out there, too, flapping a flattened cardboard box at her and yelling.

Chef

He told us she had been coming to the dumpster for two days. He had put wooden rods through the metal loops at each side of the dumpster (one is visible in the photo above) so she couldn't open it.

Didn't stop her.

Broken

The flapping and yelling did convince her that she was not welcome.

Bear 2

Bear 3

We returned the next night for the Friday fish fry. The chef — and some pipe and rebar — had solved the problem.

Dumpster

Poor hungry bear…

This entry was posted in Animals. Bookmark the permalink.

0 Responses to Bear!

Back to pic-a-nic baskets, eh, Boo-boo?

2. Cool! I feel sorry for the bear, too. But I suppose there’s lots of healthy food available in those woods, hmmm?

3. CindyG says:

Aw, poor girl, she’s just trying to get ready for winter.

Oh my. It’s such a shame that it’s so hard for the bears to stay away from people food. Lovely photos, btw.

5. elizabeth says:

I don’t feel sorry for that bear one bit! And I am so impressed that you brought your own leftover dishes. That’s an awesome idea!

6. cursingmama says:

Nary a bear nor a moose has been spotted by us despite numerous trips along the North Shore. We did spot a real live Moose on the road to Ely but I’ve decided it didn’t count because I could no longer smell the lake…. maybe next time.
    As long as they stay away from my tent.

The bear’s off in the woods figuring out how to defeat the rebar…

8. Carrie K says:

Poor hungry bear. Wow, there’s been lots of bear action lately. I love the net.