We wimp out.

Sometimes the great outdoors is just too… outdoors-ish. After nice weather for the first half of the week, on Thursday it turned rainy and cold.

The last straw was when it snowed on Saturday.

I proposed that we check into the Super 8 motel in Buffalo for one night. Sleep in real beds (one each!) and take showers and enjoy the free wi-fi. After some discussion and a check of the weather forecast — Sunday looked even worse than Saturday — we decided to endure Saturday night in the camper in the cold/snow/rain and check into the motel as early as possible on Sunday.

So here I am, sitting in a real chair typing this blog post. Sadly, we managed to break the aged laptop I had been using (bought for Andrew when he went away to college in 2003) — there were even some sparks! I am typing on Smokey's netbook. Keyboard is too small for effective touch typing — although I keep trying — and it doesn't recognize my camera, so no pictures today. But it IS internet access and I won't whine.

Speaking of internet access, we have found a surprising number of *hot spots*, some intentional, like in restaurants, and some not, like in the parking lot of the Family Dollar store. My little iPod Touch is getting a workout 🙂

Now it is time for me to take advantage of the shower and for Smokey to get out his tools and repair some laptops. Maybe there will be photos tomorrow. Knitting, a rodeo, other notable sights…

This entry was posted in Vacation, Wyoming. Bookmark the permalink.

0 Responses to We wimp out.

Snow! Yikes!! I am SO a fair-weather camper — the snow would not have been my last straw. ; ) Glad you’re warm and dry!

2. tinebeest says:

Snow? Wrong time of year, surely? I’ve put away my winter woollies, I hope you did not!

3. Jocelyn says:

I’ve had several nights of tearing away from a campground for the comforts of a Super 8 (one time in Cody, even). RIP, Laptop.

4. Bullwinkle says:

/snicker!
    Excellent decision! 🙂 I’m usually an idiot and don’t leave until I’m miserable (and why wait for that?)
    Thanks for checking in (good luck with the notebook!)

5. Diane says:

There you are! Yeah, that’s a little cold for camping, I’d be seeing how long the room was available.

I’m completely a motel camper, so I think you made the right decision! Hopefully you are warm and dry…

7. My family went camping a lot. Once, in the Tetons we thought it was “fun” to heat rocks in the fire, wrap and put in bottom of sleeping bags to warm our cold feet. One morning, when we woke up, the leftover coffee from the day before had frozen solid. We broke camp.

8. Erika says:

Good call! I don’t think you can be blamed for wimping out on snow in JUNE for crying out loud.

I love the outdoors — I love outdoor activities — I love interacting with wildlife and geography and even weather. But. I do not camp. 🙂 At the end of the day, I need showers, beds, electricity, washers and dryers, wi-fi. I like comfort. (I’m not too proud to admit this.)

That is not whimping out. That’s using common sense and not making yourselves sick on vacation.
    xo

11. lisa says:

Snow? Sparks??!?!?! Yikes!

12. tammy says:

Dude, if there was snow you were absolutely justified in getting a motel. My camping logic – as long as I’m paying a mortgage payment, I will sleep in a good bet. That’s what I’m paying for, after all. Snort!
    You will get used to the netbook keyboard size. Trust me! 😉

13. Your earlier post made me want to camp. I have now re-thought that position. Inside has no snow. I’m good with that. You made the right call!!

14. Helen says:

SNOW???
    In mid_JUNE?
    I’d have made for the hotel too!
    good luck on the repairs..

I’ve camped in rain many times, but I would draw the line at snow. Look what happened to the Donner party, after all.

16. Carrie K says:

But the laptop broke so you’re still “roughing it”. 🙂

17. marylou says:

What Carrie said. Not wimpin at all. Once I took my neice camping when she was about 9. I said let’s go wash our faces and brush our teeth before going to sleep and she looked crestfallen. “We have to brush our teeth? I thought we were rouging it.”

18. soxanne says:

Wimping out? Not at all! You are, after all, camping. I don’t camp, so from my point of view campers are never wimps. For me going to the Holiday Inn Express is roughing it (I know, I know).
    I do hope you’re enjoying your vacation, wherever you are…