It’s time for… New Year’s resolutions!

I solemnly resolve that in 2010 I will:

1. Stop smoking. Check. Did that in 1974.
  2. Stop drinking to excess. Check. Happily, that has never been a problem for me. My father was an alcoholic*. Nuff said.
  3. Stop driving 20 mph over the speed limit. Check. I have slowed down considerably over the past five years or so, pretty much never speed any more.

As you can tell, I really have this resolution thing down. ;^)

4.  Use up stash.
    5.  Knit at least one sweater for myself.

Okay, those last two are gonna be a challenge, if for no other reason than that they contradict each other. At least two-thirds of my stash — measured in yardage, not skeins — was purchased on sale with no particular project in mind, but with the vague intention that it would be good for Dulaan and other such community knitting**. The Dulaan Project ended a couple-three years ago, pretty much right after I stocked up on 100% wool worsted weight. Edited to add: I gave Maggie brown grocery bag of yarn before they left last night, to take to her textiles teacher; the textiles classes always need yarn. Score!

When I counted up what I had knit in 2009, the total was 73± items, of which about 20 were for myself, all of the actual FOs small things like socks or a hat or scarf. Enough, already, I said; time to indulge myself in some hand-knit sweaters

I started this kimono sweater in late 2007.

IMG_0306 IMG_0367

At left, above, I had finished the front and back, joined them at the shoulders, and was preparing to pick up 275 st for the front/neck band. At right, how it looked when that was done. All it lacks are sleeves. As soon as Andrew's medical mittens are done, this is what I will be working on.

As cold as it is right now, I really, really, really wish this were done. It will be lovely warm.

I started this one in the summer of 2008.

IMG_0583 IMG_0585

Most of it has been knit at least twice, for various reasons. A month or so ago I finally faced up to the fact that this bamboo yarn will almost certainly never work in this pattern. I haven't frogged it yet, but I will. I'm thinking that the drapey bamboo might work in a summer cardigan with some contrasting bits. That would be a garment that I could use. I have done some searching in Ravelry to see what others have made from the yarn. But in the meantime, into the frog pond it goes.

This blue-gray DK wool has been in the stash for at least a couple years, since I bought it from Juno in her destash.

DSCF1076

A few weeks ago I was thinking hard about what I could do with it, given that I had only about two-thirds as much yarn as I would need for a sweater for myself. Then I found this pattern in Ravelry and it all came together — a top-down raglan pullover with contrasting stripes. The contrasting yarns are Valley Yarns merino from Webs; I might add another color or two just to make the whole project more fun and also to have absolutely, positively enough yarn for the sweater to be long enough. Standard length sweaters make me look even more, er, ample than I am 😦 Plus, no matter how wide they are, they always look a bit too short.

This last yarn, at right, is intendedDSCF1081 for a cardigan I have been plotting for, oh, about four years. I'm not gonna say more about it because that could easily jinx the project, plus those kimono sleeves and the striped raglan pullover will keep me busy for a good long while.

6.  One more resolution: no purchase of yarn unless to complement existing stash for a specific project. Sock yarn counts.

And those are my resolutions for 2010 knitting. Wish me luck!

*  Over the years it has been eye-opening to me, to say the least, how many people respond to this revelation with the fact that they have a father/uncle/brother who was/is also a problem drinker. Remind me again why liquor is legal and marijuana is not?

** My problem is two-fold: it's hard to say no to any appeal for knitted [fill in the blank], plus the items appealed for are almost always small — hats, scarves, mittens. Small = immediate gratification, one of my weaknesses.

This entry was posted in Community knitting, Kimono sweater, knitting, Summer chevron. Bookmark the permalink.

16 Responses to It’s time for… New Year’s resolutions!

1. tinebeest says:

Good luck with those resolutions!
    The stash reducing ones are the hardest 🙂 I’ve got a very good limit: as long as it fits into the big zip bag from the mattress topper, I can grab it and run out of the house in case of fire or floods:-) (And yes, it does fit)
    P.S. Mr beest thinks the name of your blog sounds like the name of a band. When is your first CD coming out? 😉

2. sophanne says:

Hooray for you for taking time to resolve. My resolutions sit in a cloudy gray area in the recesses of my mind waiting to come to fruition. Add me to this list of alcoholic fathers and a misspent youth dating the same.

3. Kitten says:

If you have some charity yarn (aka, scratchy) that you don’t think you’ll use, I have a friend here in town who works with refugees, and she’s asked if I know where she can get yarn on the cheap for a Bangladeshi woman who makes baskets and such out of them.

4. Mel says:

I need to work on reducing my stash, too. I was actually pretty good in 2009, for the most part, and my latest mittens were total stash busters. My first 2010 project, though, is newly purchased yarn – Lion Brand Fishermen’s Wool to make a child’s sweater. I’ll be sending that over to Afghanistan, though, so it won’t be in stash for long. You might consider Afghans for Afghans for charitable knitting (I’m sending this to a cousin who’s stationed there to pass along to a local).

5. soxanne says:

Good for you – on resolutions past and present. Congrats on past accomplishments and good luck with this year’s challenges.

6. Mary Lou says:

Happy New Year. Glad to hear you quit smoking. I haven’t quite got the speeding down yet myself..

7. tammy says:

Good luck! You’re right, by the way, sock yarn does count. At some point it may actually start to take over the stash. 😉

That kimono sweater is really going to be lovely. And warm. Great knitting resolutions. I’m still thinking on mine. . . but they’re definitely going to follow the stash-busting theme.

9. Lorette says:

I like the resolutions! The raglan pattern looks like a winner, I might have to try a top-down sweater this year.

10. Julia G says:

Good luck with your resolutions — very inspiring, especially the sock yarn clause! And thanks for sharing your year — there is always so much to be grateful for when we take time to pay attention.

Heh, tricksy resolutions, you. 🙂 So one of the best things ever for helping me keep my driving speed down? My car’s spedometer reading 5 mph faster than actual speed. I FEEL like I’m speeding like crazy, but not so much. 😀

Enjoyed your resolutions.
    Years ago, I resolved not to make resolutions. Only one I’ve ever been able to stick with…

13. Helen says:

use up stash? or use up your stash?
    ’cause if I swore to use up my stash I’d have to start knitting on boat oars with many strands at a time… or get a machine…
    AND do nothing else for the year including read, sleep, blog…
    But I will be trying to use up more of my stash.

Good list. Totally doable, but no one will die if you don’t do it. That’s always a plus. ;^)

15. Miss T says:

Use up stash??? That would only prompt me to acquire more stash.

16. Pingback: Sweater thoughts. | kmkat & her kneedles